Monday, January 17, 2011

London Adventures

The Tower of London
Even though I have already been there...twice...I loved it so much that I had to go again. We got off the tube at London Bridge where you can also find the London Dungeons and Borough Market. This exit allows you to walk across the Tower Bridge and snap some amazing pictures. I felt like this little walk along the Thames gave me a nice introduction to the Tower of London...not like when you get off at Tower Hill and you are immediately at the tower. The price for admission also includes a guided tour with one of the Beefeaters, the guards at the tower. The first two times I went I had the same tour guide and he was just entertaining both times. Our guide today was just as good and told story after story...and that was only a small portion of the history at the Tower of London. It's absolutely incredible that just one building has more history than all of the states combined. And of course we couldn't leave without seeing the crown jewels! All of those diamonds make the Hope diamond look like a joke. We ended our tour with a lunch next to the Thames. Couldn't have been a better day.

Camden Markets
Photobucket

This has to be one of my favorite places so far. Camden is where the artsy/hipster/alternative atmosphere of Venice Beach meet London...minus a few degrees. I was completely surprised since I expected it to be more like Borough Markets with samples of cheeses and olive oil. I was a little off with my assumptions. There's something for everyone. Antiques, trendy clothes (similar to the fashion district), drug paraphernalia, rave clothes, hand-made leather purses...EVERYTHING. And the food stands are absolutely incredible! Shannon and I chose Indian food, but the choice was hard...there were so many and they all smelled so good!! The best choice of the adventure by far was the chocolate covered waffle. And not only was some of the best food, but it was the cheapest food. You'll probably spend less than $10 on food, depending on how hungry you are of course. Camden Markets showed me a completely different side of London that I didn't even know existed.


Photobucket

No comments: